Saturday 16 January 2010

Days15-17 Heart Politics, not a travelogue!

This event is all about the politics of social action and how with heart we, the people, can affect change and transformation. Created out of a desire for social justice and employment these activists took off from a Maori model maintaining the momentum for 20 years. This years summer gathering almost didn't happen,(on the website, it was 'canceled') traditionally a 5 day event, some of the community refused to let it pass. It is all about being present to each other, deep listening where all "pay attention to the unfolding" working toward a "common good" this community is "talking across diversity". We are encouraged to bring forward our concerns, our stories and passions with the intention of seeing the bigger picture, the biggest impact we are having the influence we bring forward through the fabric of our/their culture/community/society. Meeting twice a year, the winter gathering has traditionally been a retreat for the previous participants, smaller and more focused on personal strengthening. There seems to be a shift towards using that time to address more juicy, involving issues.
I took a lot (for me) of notes about the structure of the event, how it unfolds and what it looks like on the surface. Certainly the uniqueness of New Zealand contributes greatly in my judgment, to how successful this is: 700 people on their database.
I was encouraged and inspired by these folks and their efforts, I wonder/ed how it might look in other countries (Australia and California have Heart Politics) and how I can bring this conciousness to bear fruit in my community.
My experience of being there, invited by someone in Canada, knowing really nothing about it, was extremely positive. Warm and friendly people, with a huge concern for the welfare of their country, nation and the world itself. The issues discussed were always in the final analysis about the bigger picture, what is the affect on the greater community? And of course the micro view , the personal was addressed as well with the familiar tools of expression and witnessing. Somewhat like Dare'for larger community.
We sang/chanted frequently, I offer this one (most were in Maori!)to finish my 'report'

"Tall trees, warm fires,
Strong winds, deep waters,
I feel you in my body,
I feel you in my soul."

"Tall trees, warm fires,
Strong winds, deep waters,
I feel you in my body,
I feel you in my soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment